Monday, October 30, 2006

Kyoto a gogo!

















Hey boys and girls, so its been awhile and I've been either way too lazy or tired as usual to keep up with this darn blog. I hope everyone is doing good back home in the states.
As you will see from the pics above, I took a little trip to Kyoto two weekends ago!. I have to say Kyoto is a beautiful city, and if your really into old-style japan, so far in my book, Kyoto really takes the cake. and as some of you know, I always though Nagoya (my current city) was chuck-full of foreigners, but holy crap was I wrong, Kyoto is loaded with them. Most of them though are just tourist there for a few days like me lol. (But hey at least I speak the language).
So as I arrived after a 2 1/2 hour and incredibly inexpensive train ride (4,100 yen roundtrip from Nagoya, I.E. $37) the guy who accompanied (whom I'm no longer on speaking terms with) had a friend from his home university who was was studying down at Kyoto. Fortunately and gratefully enough, this guy who goes by the name Pawn (he's Thai) allowed us to stay with him for the weekend. Although we slept on floors (which was still fine cause it was carpeted) I wasn't complaining it was a free logding!. So anyway, the first day not much happened since I was extremely tired and hungry (and you all know how I am when i'm hungry lol) So on the second day, I literally spent the day walking around the city. I didn't go out too far though, but stayed relatively in downtown Kyoto, which was still alot of stuff to take in. I go to walk through the old famous streets of Gion, which is where I had my first realy Geisha sighting!, lovely gals, but I swear they just look like live dolls to play with (for a nominal fee of course (kidding!)) anywho, afterwards, I walked up Higashiyama mountain (eastern mountain literally) and saw the skyline view of the city from it. Wonderful I tell ya!. I saw some more culture spots of the city and was even able to go to a zen temple!. I'm telling you, if anyone has ever listend to the song aquesous transmission from Incubus, while sitting in a Zen Buddhist temple, it iwas by far the most relaxing and enrichening moment in your life!! afterwards I walked around some more, saw some more cool temples and areas, then walked through some of the old streets of Japan; the ones which are kind of on a a little hill but have tons of old-style shops running down it, Beautiful!, I even bought a few things hear and there for my mom.
All and all, it was an amazing trip. At first I had wanted to go back down to Osaka and just spend the weekend partying till the sun came up on sunday lol. But decided to do the cultural thing. Well worth it, and cheap as heck too.

Soooo this coming weekend (from Nov. 1st through Nov. 5) We have our University holiday over here. and Guess where I'm going?.... Tokyo baby!. Train tickets are lined up and hotel is bookes, this is gonna be awsome. For anyone who's been there and who's wondering, I'm staying in the Uber Chique Roppongi Hills district. Talk to you guys later. Thanks for reading about my crazy life.
Doodles
Huges & Kisses sans the love ;-)

BTW, that first pic is of the Japanese food called Okonomiyaki, very famous within the Kyoto/Osaka region, and by far my most favorite Japanese food yet. Its made from a pancake-like batter with cabbage, meat, eggs, flour and water. You can add other veggies to your liking. Good stuff!

No comments: